Little Known Facts About Your Favorite Peonies
Peonies have special and exquisite beauty that only they can slay! Peonies are large, gorgeous flowers that are the highlight fit for any garden or as an accent in a house. They are one of the best-known and most dearly loved perennials. They add a dazzling feel and splash of color to the landscape and can be used as a bouquet or vase-filled arrangement placed inside a home. Their fragrance, abundant blooms, unexceptional beauty, and longevity are some of the reasons why people consider peonies.
Fun Facts About Peonies
Want to know amazing trivia about Peonies? Well for sure you will admire Peonies more when you get to know them. Learn some little-known facts behind these charming, beautiful, and captivating flowers, Peonies!
- Peonies are popular with ants! Their sweet nectar causes them to climb inside peony buds, opening the flower (even though they can open without assistance).
- In Greek mythology, the peony is named after Paeon, one of Asclepius’ students. Zeus intervened before Asclepius could harm Paeon by turning him into a peony to keep him from harm, as he was jealous of his student’s natural ability to heal.
- In order for peonies to bloom in the spring, they have to be kept at a temperature below 40 degrees for at least 400 hours. The warmth of the climate makes them unfit for growing.
- Bunnies, rabbits, and deers do not like peonies!
- Peonies can grow to over 10 inches in diameter in most colors except blue.
- Under the right conditions and air circulation around the plant, it is possible for peony plants to live for more than a century. They will also be healthier, floriferous, and vigorous.
- Peonies are known as sho yu in Chinese, meaning “most beautiful. No wonder why there are so many people who fell in love with this flower.
- Peonies are traditionally given as a gift to commemorate the 12th anniversary.
- Pink peonies that are lighter in color are more fragrant than darker ones.
- Traditional Chinese medicine uses white peonies as one of its oldest remedies. Various conditions such as convulsions are treated with peony root in Chinese medicine.
- Wealth and honor are associated with peonies. As well as a symbol of romance and love, they are considered good luck and a sign of a happy marriage.
- There are 3 types of Peonies: Tree Peonies, Herbaceous Peonies, and Itoh or Intersectional Peonies. Tree Peonies bloom around April to May and they should be in light shade during the heat of midday. Herbaceous Peonies bloom from May to June. They are low maintenance and require little water. This type of peony only needs little fertilizer when grown in rich soil. Last but not the least, Itoh or Intersectional Peonies bloom only in June. They are very attractive foliage through summer and fall.
- There are 6 types of peony flower blooms: Single, Anemone, Japanese, Bombe, Full- double, and Semi-Double.
We present to you our astonishing and heavenly Peonies Collection. Send peonies bouquets or vase-filled arrangements to your dearest loved ones on their special birthday, Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or any events in life. Darcey Flowers offers fast and secure same-day delivery across the United Arab Emirates. So what are you waiting for? Order now and let flowers speak for you!
What Are The Best Ways To Take Care Of Peonies?
Here are some of the few tips to take good care of peonies:
- Plants with the disease shouldn’t be grown in the same area as their diseased counterparts. Rotating the plant is necessary to keep the area free of further infestation.
- Plant stems of peonies are prone to breaking under the enormous weight of the flower. Ensure that the stem is properly supported.
- A plant’s health can be protected by ants. Hence, if you observe ants, you should not eliminate them.
- Two times a week is all that is needed to water peonies. It is imperative that you do not overwater your plants, as this can cause root rot. You should water the plants about four inches from the soil’s surface.
- For planting peonies, you should choose well-drained soil. Your soil should be adequately fertilized before you plant. Prepare the soil well by mixing it well and adding compost, and fertilizer if necessary. It is possible to add some fertilizer during early summer if the soil needs it.
- You should deadhead your peonies as soon as they start to fade. Preventing disease would require cutting the foliage to the ground during the fall season.
Spring season specifically late April until early June but May is when they truly burst their special bloom. This flower may not be rich in the United Arab Emirates however just like any online flower store, Darcey Flowers will provide it for you!